Friday, July 8, 2011

Dad - 1, Prostate Cancer - 0

Yesterday, my dad had surgery for prostate cancer.  Luckily, the surgery went very well, and he should now be cancer-free!

My dad is an amazing dad and granddad.  When I was a little girl, he would go to extreme lengths (flying down from the Marine Reserves for a couple hours and then going back) to be at my ballet recitals, even though I clearly had no idea what ballet was at the age of 4. 

Dad is always willing to help us with projects around our house - installing a mounted microwave, fixing light fixtures, removing trees (but seriously, climbing a 2-story extension ladder with a chain saw is a BAD idea, Dad!), and driving up here with a truck full of tools so that we can borrow them instead of buying them.

He loves to play with all of his grandchildren - lying in the floor with them, making silly voices (so cute to see such a big guy making baby talk), carrying them around, and feeding them.  I think he even tried to change one of their diapers once.  (It was a cloth diaper, so that threw him for a loop.)



My dad can also kick some serious butt.  He once chased down two (much younger) guys after being pick-pocketed in Barcelona.  He caught them, probably COMPLETELY freaked them out and got his wallet back... and made some friends with the Spanish policemen who were very impressed.  I think he's an honorary employee of the Barcelona police department now.  So, honestly, prostate cancer... you messed with THE WRONG GUY.

Dad, I hope you feel better soon.  We can't wait to see you again.  Know that lots of people are praying for you.

I love you!

Leslie

P.S.  Miles and Viv, you can't say "butt" until you're at least 16.  Do as I say, not as I do.

2 comments:

  1. So glad everything went well yesterday! Your Dad sounds like an absolutely amazing man. We'll say a little prayer for him, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued prayers for your dad! The little folks at my house think he's "all that" too!

    ReplyDelete